Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Resistance is Futile

I am married (13 years on July 6th!) to a Star Trek fan. Does not really matter the version, whether it was the Captain James C. Kirk (portrayed by William Shatner) years or the Captain Jean-Luc Picard (portrayed by Patrick Stewart) years...my husband is and always will be a fan.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Star Trek; however, for the sake of our marriage relationship, I watch a Star Trek rerun or two on occasion...you know, that "shoulder-to-shoulder" thing.

From the few episodes that I have endured, I do remember a strange set of cyber folks from Star Trek - The Next Generation named the Borg. I remember them for a particular phrase, "Resistance if Futile". This phrase has been adopted by pop culture and basically describes a failing struggle against the flow.

Do you know anyone like that? Resistance is their Modus Operandi (MO), their method or response to everything - challenges, change, love, and life in general. Very frustrating!

One of my favorite books is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Oh, how I enjoyed every word that flowed from the pages of that incredible novel. I don't want to spoil it for you, but in order to make my point, I've got to throw you a bone about the main character. Her MO was resistance. She resisted challenges, change, love, and life in general. Very frustrating!

I confess that I resist too. I'm not picky...I resist all kinds of things. It is often my first response. But one thing I know, Jesus is calling me to surrender. Maybe His pop culture response to the Borg would be, "Surrender is Fertile".

- Surrender brings my heart to a place of openness
- Surrender brings my heart to a place where it can be tilled
- Surrender prepares my heart for supernatural seed and then, for harvest
- Surrender breaks uncultivated ground

Hosea 10:12 AMP, "Sow for yourselves according to righteousness (uprightness and right standing with God); reap according to mercy and loving-kindness. Break up your uncultivated ground, for it is time to seek the Lord, to inquire for and of Him, and to require His favor, till He comes and teaches you righteousness and rains His righteous gift of salvation upon you."

Resistance is Futile...Surrender is Fertile. Which will you choose today?

No comments:

Post a Comment