Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Rebekah, A God-Moment For Sure!

Rebekah.

I arrived at the Y yesterday afternoon perplexed. I needed answers and my prayers felt like they were trapped in the ceiling. I was frustrated and at the point of self-inflicted despair.


I found myself in the bathroom stall praying, "God, please, I'm dense! Please make Your answer obvious. I can't hear You! Just say something! Do you hear me? Don't You care?"


So, I walked out of the bathroom and peaked into the exercise room across the walkway. The light was off, the air conditioner was at a low hum - peace and quiet, so I thought. As I entered the room, I noticed a women setting up a stretching area for herself. She was neatly covering her yoga mat with a towel, all at the same time glowing a humble smile. Intrigued by her gracious manner, I return her smile with a smirk. I really tried to smile back, but I just couldn't.

Noticing my crinkled brow and empathizing with my weighted sigh, she dares a little small talk. I thought, oh lady, this is your lucky day...run! Ends up that she's a homeschooling mom of six. Three children in college - two seeking PhD's - and three still at home. She had my ear quick. My respect meter was at an all-time high and I wanted to know her formula...how in the word did she do it?!

(All the while we're involved in conversation, I'm realizing that I've been set up. This was a God-moment planned just for me and I'd better pay attention.)

She sums up her Godly advice with one Scripture, "Every wise woman builds her house, but the foolish one tears it down with her own hands." -- Proverbs 14:1

As she quotes the latter part of that verse, she acts out "tearing down" with her piano fingers. She makes her fingers like claws, crinkles her own face, and makes a downward motion. I've got to be honest, it scared me. That gesture awakened me.

She didn't give me a formula. No A+B=C. (Somehow I knew that would happen.) She looked at me straight in the face, eyes glaring with a holy fire that I cannot put into words, and she said, "Whatever you do, don't tear down your house."

Lastly, she shares with me that she's never been in the exercise room and felt that the Lord had directed her and I to a God-moment. I was like, lady, you have NO idea! 

We end our conversation with introductions. She introduces herself as Rebekah and I as Joann. We shake hands, exchange smiles, and walk away in fullness...she knows that she's been a vessel of Grace and I know that He heard my cry.

Oh God, what woman wants to tear down her house? Not me, never! I want to build my house. I want to be in construction until that very last day...edifying and encouraging my husband, my daughters, and whoever else the Lord brings across my path.

*****

Thank you, Rebekah. Thank you for allowing the Holy Spirit to direct your steps yesterday. I needed you. I needed your wisdom, your experience, a piece of your heart and you did not withhold. I may never see you again, but your gracious face will remain in my memory. You've made an imprint on my heart that will last a life-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment