Monday, June 29, 2009

Do You Know Your Story?

I didn't know I had a story. I was living life - one day at a time - not really paying attention to a whole lot. My plan for the day included: wake up, go to work, come home, go to sleep. Of course, there were a few things in between like family and church stuff, but not much else. Life was a daily blur.

In September 2005, I accepted what would be this biggest challenge of my life. I joined a women's mentoring group. You have to understand just how huge this was for me. I hated women. No, I abhorred them. So, to become a part of a women's mentoring group was VERY unlike me. I "told" God that I didn't want anything to do with women, much less women's mentoring or ministry. Absolutely NO WAY!! I'm sure you can imagine the Lord chuckling at my demands.

As you can guess, I was thrown in head first. Around the table the questions came, "Why are you here?" and "What do you want to gain from our time together?" Huh? I had no idea how to answer those plus a few more! All I knew was that I intensely disliked the woman that I had become...bitter, angry, hot-headed, and downright mean!

It was time. It was time for me to totally surrender. I surrendered my will, my time, and my preconceived ideas of the ladies around the room. I surrendered my life to the One who loves me most. Into His hands I submitted my heart and soul.

During my second year of the two-year program, we were assigned to tell our stories. Me? What story? I don't want to look back on my life? All of the ugly things that I had done and things that were done to me. NO!!

After reading the book for the month - To Be Told by Dr. Dan Allender - my heart was changed. I realized there were wounds left untouched. There were wounds still festering from my past. So, I obeyed my mentor and poured out the memories of my past. It was painful. It was beautiful. It was for my benefit.

Do you know YOUR story? Somebody needs to hear it.

"Much can be remembered and learned by looking back, but only for a visit, not an extended stay." -- The Shack

Today I met with an acquaintance whom I believe will turn into a friend. She needed to hear my story. No, not all of it...no gory details today...just bite-size pieces. It was painful. It was beautiful.

Do you know YOUR story? I pray you will revisit your past. Why? To remember and celebrate what God has brought you through.

Pen away my friend...pen away.

2 comments:

  1. Our stories need to be told, especially if they can offer healing and comfort to others.

    Thankful you value story.

    God bless you,

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, this was great! You have some good things to say. I hope you keep saying them.

    ReplyDelete