Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Sad Day

I'm saddened today by the death of two icons - Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. Both passed away on June 25, 2009...one expected and the other unexpected.

I was an avid fan of Charlie's Angels. My family - consisting of my dad, mom, and I - would gather together weekly to watch Charlie's Angels. I imagined myself in a polyester leisure suit, a long-sleeved satin blouse with fluffy bow around the neck, and high leather boots. I even had a poster of Charlie's three beauties in my closet posed with gun in hand. My mom was a hair stylist, so you can imagine the feathered nest on my head as I attempted Farrah's iconic hair style! Treasured memories...I chuckle just thinking about it.

Michael Jackson brings more memories. My best friend lived two houses to the left in the cul-de-sac...San Anselmo Lane to be exact. She had two older brothers who were huge MJ fans, so needless to say, there were records, posters, calendars, etc. piled all over their rooms. I specifically remember the album, Off The Wall. We played that album day after day after day. Treasured BFF moments.

I'm saddened today. I'm saddened that the symbols of a time fondly remembered have passed.

For me, I'll remember Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson for the connection and camaraderie they brought to my family and friends.

- I'll remember Farrah Fawcett for joining my family together on Friday nights and for providing my mom with one more hair style experiment.

- I'll remember Michael Jackson for providing the lyrics, beat, dance steps, and videos that forever influenced music history.

I pray that in their very last breath, they cried out to their Savior...

Romans 10:13, KJV, "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

No comments:

Post a Comment